Aloha Grade 5 & 6 Families —
Today, our staff intervened with a potential fight at the end of the school day between students in who are enrolled in Grades 5 & 6. We also heard rumors that students were going to the Kualapuu park to fight. I did manage to call a few parents about the potential fight.
The majority of students will have no idea of what is happening. But because it seems things can easily get out of hand, please help by talking to your child about how they can help, and not be complicit in aggravating or escalating the situation. Many students may not realize their actions add to the problem of fighting increasing the tension to have a fight. Examples that may escalate a potential fight include:
- Talking about who would “win” in a fight
- Recording a fight on their cell phones
- Planning to watch the fight
- Not telling a safe adult or staff member about a potential fight
- Talking about the potential fight just to talk about a fight
- Other…I’m sure there’s more.
I will be meeting with all Grade 5 & 6 about how this situation, and how we can help each other not escalate to a fight. We also will follow up with the students if there is any problem solving that need to occur between and among students.
If you have questions, please contact me at [email protected].
Kualapuu Public Charter Elementary School